On the bookshelf #1


Since starting this blog, I've beefed up the green section of my bookshelf and have been making my way through eco-friendly life tips, recipe ideas and lovely nature books with the odd dash of scary science. Here are a few recommendations.


How to Live Plastic Free, Marine Conservation Society

This is written by three experts. They each look at different parts of the plastic issue and give ideas of small changes we can make. It’s a positive and easy read. They make the point that plastic isn't inherently evil – it has some marvellous uses, particularly in medicine. Plastic saves lives! But it's the unnecessary everyday plastic that we need to cut out.


Too Good to Waste, Victoria Glass

This book is full of handy ideas of things you can do with food. Make crisps out of vegetable peelings, transform milk on the turn into ricotta and use your extra herbs to flavour oil. Food in the compost bin releases methane as it breaks down, so extra eco-points go to those who, basically, eat everything.


Turning the Tide on Plastic, Lucy Siegle

You already know my thoughts on this one. Lucy Siegle is a journalist who has been researching and reporting on the plastic problem long before it was trendy. She proposes seven steps of things we can do to… you guessed it… to turn the tide on the plastic issue.



Clean Beauty, Elsie Rutterford and Dominika Minarovic

I bought this beautiful book years ago when I thought I might try and make some beauty products. I’m yet to try any, but this is on the agenda a bit further down the line, once I’ve used up all of the 418 (ahem) things in my bathroom cabinet. Watch this space.


Freeze and Easy, Sara Lewis

This is a handy cookbook that has helped me get into better habits when it comes to cutting down food waste and clogging up my allocated freezer drawer instead of the bin. The recipes here are easy to follow and it also includes instructions on how to serve straight from the freezer.


The Little Green Book of the Home and The Little Green Book of Beauty, Sarah Callard

Years ago, I walked out of an exhibition on human evolution at the Natural History Museum thinking, ‘if only I had a book of simple things I could do to help the environment.’ Lo and behold, these were in the shop. Top tip: did you know that using a dishwasher is more eco-friendly than washing up by hand?


Live Green, Jen Chillingsworth

A small and compact book that goes through the house and poses alternatives to a plastic-stuffed life. It's an easy read with lovely illustrations. I read it mostly on a plane – ironically. (Does that help offset my carbon footprint?) I have since started working my way through the section on making your own natural cleaning products. The bathroom never smelled so green.


No-one is to Small to Make a Difference, Greta Thunberg

Greta makes a wonderful speech, and this mini book-ette pulls together some of the big speeches she has made, including those at the UN and at various school strikes around the world. It’s a super quick and inspiring read, and is a good one for kids too. As Greta says, "We are failing but we have not yet failed. We can still fix this. It's up to us."

Comments