Wax Wrap Revival

It has once again been a while since I posted anything on here. Blame the pandemic. I’ve spent all my time cooking unnecessary amounts of jam and chutney instead. If you’d like a jar of something, drop me a line!

It seems only fitting to revive the blog by reviving the wax wraps that I showed you how to make last year. Mine have had a lot of use, but they’ve got to the point where bits of wax are in danger of making their way into my dinner, and no-one wants that. This needs to be rectified before the door of my flat is open to visitors… when we reach step 100 of The Roadmap.

I was going to write a whole blog post on this, but it was so easy that there’s really not much to say! So, before I get to that, here are a few other sustainable swaps from the kitchen.


A medley of sustainable kitchen goodies. 

Reusable kitchen roll
Being a clumsy person, I get through more than my fair share of kitchen roll. These cloths were an impulse buy. Perhaps I was taken in by the eco-friendly packaging, but the cloths have been working well for those small spills that don’t require a whole sheet of paper. This is recommended if, like me, you’re a messy cook. And saving kitchen roll saves trees. What's not to love?

Kitchen brushes

These two brushes were quite pricey – one was £7 and the other £10 – but I’m hoping that they will last for years. The lighter one has a reusable brush head, which I haven’t needed to replace yet. So far, so good.


Refillable washing up liquid

Fortunately, there is a shop down the road that refills all sorts of cleaning products. Their washing up liquid smells so much nicer than the harsher chemicals, and I think it works better, too. If you can find one of these shops near you, I highly recommend this.

Reviving your wax wraps

And now for the main event. The easiest way to bring a beeswax wrap back to life is to flatten it out onto a sheet of baking paper, then put it on a baking tray in the oven at a low heat (150 degrees) for just a few minutes. After about five minutes it might start to cook, so keep an eye on it. Then let it cool for a few seconds before lifting it off the baking tray and hanging it up to dry – I loop mine over an old wire coat hanger. The wax wraps were back in circulation about twenty minutes later, just like new. 


The 'before' shot – it needs some love.

And the 'after' shot – good as new!


What next?


Now that I've swapped quite a few things around the house, next I'm going to look more closely at food – as I'm still throwing away a lot of plastic packaging – and clothes. A lot of the high street stores that I used to shop in have closed since the pandemic, and I'm sure more will fall by the wayside as the world continues to change. So, how I source – and treat – my wardrobe is a topic under the spotlight at the moment. There will be more to come on that once I've figured out what to do about it. 

I also have some grand plans to chat to some of the people in my life about all of the cool things that they're doing to live more sustainably. Watch this space! :)

Comments